Enjoy Your Favorite Summer Foods with Dental Implants
Tooth loss is a trial year-round, but it can be especially difficult during summer, when social eating is common. You might dread the idea of not being able to dig into your favorite seasonal treats, especially when everyone around you is eating without worry. With dental implants, however, you can say goodbye to those feelings. This form of tooth replacement can stand up to all of your favorite summer foods with ease. Let’s talk about what you can eat with dental implants and how you can keep them healthy throughout this season and beyond.
What Can You Eat with Dental Implants?
Since dental implants are securely anchored in the jawbone, they are strong enough to handle virtually any food, including foods that are off-limits with traditional dentures. Plus, dental implants don’t require you to take any special precautions while you are eating. For example, instead of removing the corn from the cob, you can use your teeth to bite right in!
Here are some other summer foods that you can easily enjoy with dental implants:
- Grilled meats and vegetables
- Fresh vegetables and fruits
- Specialty foods from state and county fairs
- And more!
Is There Anything You Shouldn’t Eat with Dental Implants?
Just like natural teeth, dental implants thrive when they are exposed to a variety of healthy foods that are full of nutrients that support oral and overall health. But they can suffer damage if you overindulge in less healthful choices. For example, eating too much sugar allows bacteria to flourish in the mouth, which increases plaque buildup and leads to a higher risk of infection. Extremely hard and sticky foods should also be enjoyed only in moderation. This means that summer foods like ice cream, cotton candy, and taffy should all be occasional treats rather than everyday diet staples.
Other Tips for Protecting Your Dental Implants
In addition to making wise food choices, there are other things you can do to help your dental implants and your mouth stay healthy throughout the summer and beyond:
- Drink enough water. Water encourages saliva production and rinses food particles out of your mouth. It’s especially important to be mindful of the need for water during summer, when it is easy to become dehydrated.
- Keep up with oral hygiene. Even when you are on vacation, it is important to stick to a thorough routine of brushing and flossing.
- Contact your dentist if you have questions. If you are ever concerned about the well-being of your dental implants, call your dentist or periodontist. They will be happy to assist you with any problems you encounter.
Summer is a season of deliciousness! Your dental implants can help you enjoy all of your favorite foods.