Crown Lengthening – Tallahassee, FL
The Answer for a Gummy Smile
The next time you’re in front of a mirror, take the time to look at your grin; what exactly do you see when you pull your lips back? If there’s more soft tissue showing than teeth, the result can be an awkward looking “gummy” smile. By removing some of the unneeded gum tissue, Dr. Rasmussen can give your teeth a longer, more attractive appearance. If you think your gums might be drawing unwanted attention, call us to schedule a consultation today.
Why Choose Periodontics & Implant Dentistry of Tallahassee for Crown Lengthening?
- Get Rid of Your Gummy Smile
- Prepare the Tooth for a Crown or Another Restoration
- Procedure Performed by Board-Certified Periodontist
Who Is a Good Candidate for Crown Lengthening?
As with any procedure, we’ll need to examine your teeth and gums beforehand to make sure you’re eligible for crown lengthening. While it’s normally performed to treat a gummy smile, it might also be recommended if you need a dental crown; sometimes gum tissue will be removed to make room for such a restoration.
You need to be in good overall health before the crown lengthening process. That means you might have to wait to have the procedure performed if you’re currently suffering from gum disease or a condition that might make any sort of oral surgery risky.
How Crown Lengthening Works
Your gums will be numbed, and an appropriate sedative will be used depending on the situation. Dr. Rasmussen will make a number of incisions in your gums in order to remove them from the teeth. This will expose the roots as well as the bone underneath. Once all of the necessary tissue has been removed, the site will be sutured back together. The exact length of the procedure depends largely on the number of teeth that need to be treated. Also, you may need someone else to drive you to and from our office if sedation is used.
Benefits of Crown Lengthening
- Enhanced Appearance: While you might not normally think of the role that the gums play in the appearance of your smile, you may be surprised at how much of a difference crown lengthening can make simply by exposing more of your dazzling teeth.
- Improved Oral Health: If there’s too much gum tissue around your teeth, there’s a chance a cavity could develop where your toothbrush can’t reach. Crown lengthening will make it much easier to keep the entire tooth clean.
- Permanent Results: Unlike other cosmetic treatments, there’s no need for touch-ups or additional procedures later down the road.
What to Expect After Crown Lengthening?
You should avoid strenuous exercise for the next three days after the procedure. Some discomfort is to be expected, and you can control it with pain medications such as ibuprofen. Apply an ice bag to your face for about 20 minutes at a time to reduce any swelling. If you start bleeding excessively and can’t control it, call our office right away.